Change your NTFS / windows drive label via linux

In my current ubuntu machine suddenly music stops playing after a reboot, adn I figured out that it is the issue of my library, My music library was on a NTFS drivewith label NEW LABEL, and there was another drive on my system with the same label , so whenver I rebooted ubuntu append one of the drive (randomly) with _so they would be mounted on
  • /media/NEW VOLUME
  • /media/NEW VOLUME_
if I am lucky then my music collection directory is mounted without _ but nobody can be lucky forever not certainly me, so with help of IRC guys i figured out a way to counter this, just install the program ntfsprogs
  • sudo apt-get install ntfsprogs
it'll come up with a program called ntfslabel, now type ntfslabel on console to check response, if, it is installed , it's help would appear, otherwise a messsage saying, command not found or program not installed will appear, ,
Now type this on command line,
unmount all your ntfs drives,(I hope u know how to do it)
  • sudo umount <drive directory>
after unmounting your drives type this on console,
  • sudo ntfslabel -f /dev/sda5 <newlabel>
in your case /dev/sda5 is the drive you want to rename,and new label is any valid string, I supplied books.
  • sudo ntfslabel -f /devsda5 books
use with caution since we are using -f flag so it'll forced to do it, but this gets the work done.

  1. gravatar

    # by Gaurav - February 20, 2009 at 1:41 AM

    doesn't work in ubuntu 8.10

  2. gravatar

    # by Dean - April 4, 2009 at 4:32 AM

    Brilliant post, completely fixed my issue on 8.10 :)

    I had my downloads/storage drives mounted round the wrong way, and thought it was Nautilus showing me the wrong thing, but it was actually showing me the drive label.

    Thanks so much.

    http://www.spikedsoftware.co.uk - I'll link to this post!

  3. gravatar

    # by vinu - June 11, 2009 at 7:12 AM

    good to know It helped ,

  4. gravatar

    # by Ivan - March 21, 2010 at 2:53 AM

    Works wonderful in 9.10, thanks!

  5. gravatar

    # by Jota - June 12, 2010 at 4:27 AM

    «sudo apt-get install ntfsprogs»

    How to change label in Ubuntu/Debian Linux... not all Linux... :P